For a major 5 Southern African safari you have two options – self drive or a directed safari.
We have been on more than 100 African safaris, both directed and self drive, and we certainly lean toward self drive.
Self drive safaris are a lot less expensive than directed safaris and you will have more adaptability and security than you would have on a directed safari. You might wind up investing your energy with a lot of individuals you simply don’t care for, in which case this will be a long disagreeable occasion!
Thus, in case you are the audacious kind and need to investigate Southern Africa, self drive is intended for you. Assuming you are a neighborhood, you ought to have your own vehicle and in case you are a global guest you should employ a vehicle. Regardless, these 3 top tips will assist you with your arranging and should make your excursion more secure and more charming:
- Which vehicle?
In case you are visiting the popular self drive public parks of Kruger, Kgalagadi and Pilanesberg in South Africa or Etosha in Namibia, you needn’t bother with a 4×4 vehicle. In summer the grass in these parks can get long so a higher vehicle is a benefit for great game spotting. We would along these lines recommend you utilize a VW Microbus, Mercedes Vito or comparative stature vehicle. We drive a southernafricansafari.co.za however a 4×4 would be more costly to recruit and it’s anything but a need, except if you are visiting Gharagab or Bitterpan camps in the Kgalagadi or mean doing one of the 4×4 path in the Kruger or Kalahari.
- What Equipment to pack?
In the event that you mean going on the 4×4 path or visiting wild camps like Gharagab then we would propose you take the accompanying things:
• 4×4 recuperation pack, which ordinarily contains a tow lash, grab tie, gloves, shackles, and splash oil
• A hatchet and collapsing spade
• A cover
• An ordinary cell phone is fine for the Kruger, Kgalagadi, Etosha and Pilanesberg
• Wheel wrench to get your tire off in the event that you have a cut
• GPS – Ensure you get one that contains maps for the public parks you will visit
• Fire quencher
• An essential medical aid unit
• Fridge/cooler – we take no less than 5 liters of drinking water with us each day in winter and 10 liters in summer.
• Tire pressure measure – you will require this for the Kgalagadi where you ought to decrease your tire pressure to have a more agreeable ride. There is a pressing factor measure at the service station yet it isn’t working most occasions!
• Vehicle handbook – you might have to really look at some little thing and without the vehicle manual you will not realize what to do
• Warning triangle
• Radiator Grille Grass-Net
• Spare tire (somewhere around one)
• 2 of every 1 Jump Start/Air Compressor. With kick off links you need one more vehicle to accuse your battery however of the Jump-Start you can begin your vehicle without anyone else. This has helped us a couple of times!
- Rooftop box or trailer?
In case there are only you two in the vehicle you ought to have adequate room for gear, food and visual hardware yet in case there are at least four individuals, you need to begin pondering a rooftop box or trailer. The trailer can hold more than the rooftop box however it costs more and is less eco-friendly than the rooftop box. We are on our third rooftop box and simply love them!
On the off chance that you would prefer not to purchase a rooftop box you can employ one yet kindly know that you have the additional stature and that you need to check the tallness prior to driving under parking spaces and trees. Our subsequent rooftop box got crushed when we drove under a garage without really looking at the fit.